Each year over 20,000 people visit the hospital due to carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless, colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is given off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the colder months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep you safe, Knochelmann Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with some tips to safety warm your home.
- Place a CO detector on each floor of your home and replace the batteries yearly.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, at least three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, always check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Turn off space heaters and ensure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like ceramic tile. Keep young ones and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, invest in a model that turns off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Don’t use a oven to heat your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally checked and cleaned annually.
The best thing you can do for your furnace is to make sure it’s not only ready to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your fall tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Knochelmann Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning will check to make sure your heating equipment is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 859-905-0834 today and ask how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.