When severe weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair professional to check your system after the storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your steps worked.
At Knochelmann Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time might not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during severe weather. Just ensure you have turned the system totally off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a secure place so that they don’t get strewn about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to head outside, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Knochelmann Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Sharonville, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for bad weather in Sharonville or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Knochelmann Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.