Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing odd noises when your air conditioner is running? There’s a strong probability there’s something wrong with your system. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to extensive—and expensive—problems eventually. We’re going to help you figure out what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to change it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling normally indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can’t pinpoint where the noise is coming from, that’s alright. A professional can help verify where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can cause noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can be caused by a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is probably an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can hint you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can be caused by a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A loud noise from your external unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can begin with fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about prevalent air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep operating my air conditioner when it’s making a noise?
There are a few cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s almost impossible to answer this question without looking at your system.
In most cases, we recommend shutting off the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there’s something wrong with your air conditioner. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected expense, it’s better to get problems fixed right away. Calling a professional could help reduce future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
Eight Ways to Upgrade Your HVAC System
During the cold winter months in the U.S., there’s no better way to enhance your home’s comfort than with some effective upgrades. It’s not simply about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about boosting efficiency and improving the very air you breathe. Learn... Continue reading
How to Pick Out a Good HVAC System
In terms of keeping your home comfortable during every season, nothing is more critical than picking out the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This choice impacts your daily comfort, monthly utility expenditures and general home efficiency. Then again, with so many... Continue reading
Annual HVAC Maintenance List
As soon as the air starts to get cold, you know it’s time to prepare your home for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is crucial to maintaining a cozy, warm setting. A well-maintained furnace supplies the comfort you desire while using a smaller amount of energy. Routine inspections... Continue reading