Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing odd noises when your air conditioner is on? There's a strong probability there’s something wrong with your system. If you don’t pay attention to it, it could lead to major—and expensive—problems eventually. We're going to help you find out what’s happening with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling generally indicates a complication with your refrigerant line. If you can't pinpoint where the noise is originating from, that's alright. A professional can help verify where this noise is occurring. You can find more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will generate a noise outside your house. Mature ductwork can cause noise inside your house. Check out our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be caused by a leaky refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Check out our hissing noise guide for more on that.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is probably an electrical issue. Check out our buzzing noise guide for additional information.
- Clicking - Clicking can mean you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can see more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be due to a loose part. Take a look at our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A loud noise from your outdoor unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Read our loud noise guide for supplementary information.
- Humming - Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a busted relay switch. Head to our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about frequent air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep using my AC when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's almost impossible to answer this question without examining your system.
In most cases, we recommend shutting off the unit off and contacting a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there's an issue with your unit. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected cost, it's smart to get problems taken care of right away. Getting a professional could help reduce future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.