Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your residence, being cozy in your new room year-round is key. However, they can create a unique challenge for comfort. This is due to the fact installing ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the increased load, because it was sized without taking the addition into consideration.
One of the most affordable options is to add a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork needed. Find out more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition might be a great fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Operate
A ductless mini-split, as they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are highly energy efficient since they transfer heat to make your addition cozier. In reality, many have achieved ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for added rebates and decrease your energy expenses for a long time.
Another unique feature is zoned heating and cooling. Since each room usually has its own indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is extremely beneficial if you have a room with special temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Addition
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that lack ductwork. Here are a couple reasons why it’s smarter than installing ductwork and relying on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is expensive. Adding ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the precise figure will depend on your home, it run thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system might become overworked. When your existing heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your residence prior to the addition. This can stress your system and make it wear down faster.
- Your comfort might suffer. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort could be reduced if your system is required to manage a larger location. Your heating and cooling may be less powerful, and your utility costs could skyrocket as a result of the system needing to switch on more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like more common systems, mini-splits are offered in several sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Knochelmann Service Experts, we’ll help you get the proper size for your new area. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can generate big energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or greater when routinely tuned up. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Knochelmann Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From addressing all your questions and helping you select the recommended model to delivering Expert mini-split installation, Knochelmann Service Experts can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently finished one, we can provide assistance. Reach us at 859-905-0834 now to request a free consultation and estimate.