According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments respond to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide cases each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s usually associated with wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources including gas or oil furnaces.
Why is Carbon Monoxide so important?
The short answer is that CO2 awareness is a matter of life and death. CO2 is tops when ranking leading ways of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning have been known to be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning the invisible killer that needs to be taken seriously by every Sharonville homeowner. Acute poisoning takes place from intaking large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning can also occur over many months or years. Some symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.
Steps you can take to reduce the CO2 risk in your Sharonville home?
- If you don’t have a CO2 detector in your home, get one right away. You can contact Knochelmann Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
- Batteries should be checked on a consistent basis for existing CO2 detectors. It's also recommended to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms stated above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.